15 Ways to Manage Your E-Mail More Effectively
? Are you tired of searching for e-mail messages you know are somewhere?
Love it or hate it - or both! - e-mail is increasingly the primary method for communicating in today's digital world - at work and at home. Research shows that introducing e-mail into a company increases printing by 40%.
In seminars, I often ask attendees, "How many of you print out your e-mail?" The vast majority raise their hand - timidly! But let's face it, sometimes paper is highly practical. Complex proposals, for example, often require discussions where you need a printed copy that result in physical notes, making the electronic e-mail less valuable than the printed out version.
On the other hand, printing out everything is not likely a good solution. The key to managing e-mail is determining when to keep hard copy and when to keep electronic copy, keeping in mind that sometimes both may be practical. In the case described above, for example, the printed version has value for discussion, and the electronic version has value for creating new versions after the discussion. In either event, the principles of The Paper Tiger methodology will improve communication and increase productivity.
6 Tips for Sending E-mail Your Recipients Will Love:
1. Use the Subject line to clearly describe the topic of your e-mail. This is helpful for the recipient, and for you if you want to find a message you've sent.
2. Include only one subject per e-mail message. This method will greatly simplify e-mail filing and retrieval.
3. For a lengthy or complicated e-mail, create the e-mail in your word processing program and then copy to your e-mail. If you have an e-mail glitch during the sending process, you can easily retrieve your message!
4. When replying to any e-mail, attach enough of the old message for the recipient to remember the content of the original e-mail, but delete unnecessary information or duplication.
5. Avoid sending e-mail attachments whenever possible. Receivers are becoming more reluctant to open attachments due to the increasing prevalence of viruses that can come through attachments. In some instances, you may send an attachment, and include the attachment in the body of the e-mail, with the explanation that the attachment will have better formatting, but the recipient could get the gist of the message without opening the attachment.
6. Consider using your contact management software (such as ACT!) to send all of your outgoing e-mail. With many programs, you can attach your outgoing e-mail messages to the recipients, and other related contacts, and they will automatically appear in the Out Box of your e-mail program.
9 Tips for Managing Your Incoming E-mail:
1. To avoid an overflowing e-mail In Box, create folders. For example, you might have folders for each of your direct reports, for each project, for a committee which you chair, and for subjects of particular interest. (For example, I have a folder "statistics" since I frequently need that info for the media.)
2. Whenever you open your incoming e-mail, apply The FAT System? (File-Act-Toss) to each e-mail.
3. If you aren't sure you need it, toss it! Unlike a paper wastebasket, you can always retrieve e-mail from electronic trash by using the "Find Message" feature available in most e-mail programs. (If the company empties the trash without your knowledge, create a folder called "My Trash.")
4. Apply the "2-Do Rule" whenever possible. If you can reply in 2 minutes, then do it right away. It will take longer to file it and retrieve it again than to "just do it!"
5. For e-mail that takes more time to reply, either leave them in Inbox or file in an appropriate folder such as "Action"or "Reply."
6. If you use Paper Tiger Permanent Action Files for managing your paper (Call, Discuss, On-Line, etc.), you can use it to file the paper copy of e-mail that requires your action, such as "Discuss with John."
7. For e-mail you want to keep in electronic format, drag to the appropriate folder as described in Tip #1.
8. If you need or want a paper copy of an e-mail for future reference, print it out and file it in your paper management system, i.e. Paper Tiger, so you can find it again in 5 seconds or less!
9. After you have finished with an e-mail folder (such as a specific project), you can store it on a floppy or ZIP disk in case you need it later.
Do you have some "tricks of the trade" I didn't describe, or have questions about the ones I suggested, feel free to e-mail me - I love to hear from you.
© Barbara Hemphill is the author of Kiplinger's Taming the Paper Tiger at Work and Taming the Paper Tiger at Home and co-author of Love It or Lose It: Living Clutter-Free Forever. The mission of Hemphill Productivity Institute is to help individuals and organizations create and sustain a productive environment so they can accomplish their work and enjoy their lives. We do this by organizing space, information, and time. We can be reached at 800-427-0237 or at www.ProductiveEnvironment.com
Add to these social bookmarking sites:
Three quarters of US's top online retailers are failing to optimise email ... - RealWire (press release)
SumAll Adds Email Marketing Metrics to its integrated Data Visualization Platform - PR Newswire (press release)
Madwire Media Reviews and Announces New Email Marketing Campaings to ... - Watch List News (press release)
Notice: Undefined index: TITLE in /var/www/vhosts/harmonyhollow.net/httpdocs/webmaster-resources/email-marketing/inc/rss.inc on line 103
Choose The Right Business For You In Less Than 15 Minutes
3 Characteristics Of "The Right Business" ModelThe business must service a large market.Niche markets are also very profitable but require specialist products and customer service.
Email Marketing 2005?Do's & Don'ts
Email Marketing 2005?Do's & Don'ts1. Make sure all your email recipients are opt in or double opt in.
Email marketing is undergoing rapid changes. Now, more than ever, both the creative and demographic selection and targeting of a message must be highly relevant and qualified.
Power at your Fingertips
It is just amazing. Power right at your fingertips.
Seven Ways to Dramatically Increase Your Email Marketing Profitability
1. The Power of SevenWhen choosing a price point for your product, studies have shown that prices ending with a number 7 (specifically in the dollar amount) sell more.
Internet Tip of the Week: Mistakes Count Against You
Before the advent of email most of us, other than sending out cards for special occasions, would write very few letters. If we did write a letter, it was carefully prepared, and considerable thought went into it.
The 12 Most Common Newsletter Design Mistakes
Your newsletter's success depends on its design. An attractive, easy to read newsletter encourages readers to pay attention to your message.
Lesson #2: Different (and Profitable!) Ways to Use Smart Autoresponders
So, autoresponders allow you to automate the process of instantly replying to someone who either 1) asked for more information or 2) did something (such as buying from you).Friend, when you start putting the wheels in motion to consistently follow up with your prospects, you'll start seeing the incredible results this amazing tool brings!For example, you can use your autoresponder to.
Direct Marketing Strategies for Holiday Email Promotions
Tis the season to leverage customer interest data for successful email marketing.All of the information gathered throughout the year from customer purchases, customer feedback surveys, and other behavior offers direct marketers necessary direction for conceptualizing a successful email campaign.
What is Email Marketing?
There are many avenues available for marketing online products. Radios, TV advertisements, newspaper and magazine advertisements, and that big sign on the highway are examples of the traditional marketing approach.
Signature File Dos and Donts
Signature files have been around since, well, before most current Netizens were even aware that e-mail existed. Most will use their signature file as a quick identifier of who they are and what they do and provide a link to their Web site while those online for personal use will serve up witty, clever and many times interesting quotes.
Email: When You Dont Get a Response
The lack of an email response is an issue I have grappled with many times especially since I rely on email as a primary means of communication rather than the phone because of my hearing loss.You email a client, follow up, and whatnot.
Raid Your Autoresponder Attic For Content
Why you need new website content.Finding or creating good content for our websites is a chore.
Learn The Five Key Steps To Getting Free Publicity For Your Internet Site and Products
1) Website FocusMake sure your site is focused on a specific category of products. I cannot stress this enough.
Turn Your Old Articles Into Profitable E-mail Courses
If you've written numerous articles, you can use them to further promote yourself and your business, e-zine or web site.You can re-use your old articles by transforming them into another form of promotional tool.
The Wrong Email Format Can Destroy Your Offer
Which email format is more effective to use, Text or HTML?A good question, many experts have been debating over for awhile now, is which email format is more effective. It all depends on who you ask, many people prefer the text format over the HTML format.
Top 5 Reasons to Use Autoresponders
One of the best and newest tools out there for generating revenue is the Auto-Responder. If you aren't using this tool in your business you are *losing money*!Many times customers arrive at your website but aren't quite ready to buy.
Viral Marketing with Your Signature File
Computer viruses are usually a bad thing. They can compromise your security, delete necessary files, and give your PC trouble.
E-Newsletter Layout: Add White Space to Improve Readability
White space in newsletters is like pausing in conversation. Take a breath now and then to avoid overwhelming the reader.
Email Builds Brands
Email - today's preferred business communication tool - provides you a simple, powerful, affordable way to develop, manage and maintain relationships as well as sell products and services. Let's briefly examine how permission-based email marketing positively affects:* Brand Awareness* Market Intelligence* Web Traffic* Prospect Leads* LoyaltyBuild Brand Awareness.
|Home | Site Map|